From the National Turkey Federation
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for gravy.
- Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels.
- Peel skin from lemons and limes to make rose garnishes (see step 16 for directions). Reserve in refrigerator.
- Squeeze enough juice from the lemons and limes to equal 2 tablespoons each. Cut remaining lemons and limes in half and place in the turkey cavity.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt in the cavity.
- In a small bowl, mix the wine, brown sugar and citrus juices; reserve for glaze.
- Gently loosen skin from turkey breast without totally detaching the skin and carefully place 1 tablespoon each fresh sage, marjoram and thyme under the skin. Replace skin.
- Fold neck skin and fasten to the back with 1 or 2 skewers. Fold the wings under the back of the turkey. Return legs to tucked position.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large shallow (about 2-1/2 inches deep) roasting pan. Rub turkey with remaining salt, pepper and 2 to 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Insert oven-safe food thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, being careful the pointed end of the thermometer does not touch bone. Roast the turkey in a preheated 325 degree F oven about 3-3/4 hours.
- During the last hour of roasting time, baste with pan drippings.
- During the last 30 minutes, baste with citrus glaze.
- Loosely cover with lightweight foil to prevent excessive browning. Continue to roast until the thermometer registers 180 degrees F in the thigh.
- Remove turkey from the oven and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving.
- Place on a warm large platter and garnish platter with remaining fresh herbs and lemon and lime roses.
- Prepare lemon and lime roses as follows: with a small sharp knife or vegetable peeler, cut a continuous thin 1-inch strip of peel. Avoid cutting into white pith. Roll tightly, skin inside out and secure with toothpicks. Reserve in a bowl filled with ice water until time for service.
Provides 22 servings at 6 ounces per portion.