Universal distances itself from 'Compton' casting - KMPH FOX 26 | Central San Joaquin Valley News Source

Universal distances itself from 'Compton' casting

Posted: Updated:
By SANDY COHEN
AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Universal Pictures and the filmmakers behind the planned N.W.A. biopic are distancing themselves from an offensive casting announcement for the film.

The company said late Thursday it didn't approve and doesn't condone the announcement's content. Sande Alessi Casting posted an open call earlier this week that sought women in four categories. "A girls" were described as "the hottest of the hottest" and could be of any ethnicity, whereas "D girls" were "African-American... Poor, not in good shape. Medium to dark skin tone."

Universal called the descriptions "offensive" and said it regrets and apologizes for being associated in any way. Sande Alessi Casting declined comment.

Gawker.com quoted the casting call in an article Thursday. The casting company has since removed the announcement from its Facebook page.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KMPH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.