Boston Strong: Sanger Man Returning to Marathon One Year Later - KMPH FOX 26 | Central San Joaquin Valley News Source

Boston Strong: Sanger Man Returning to Marathon One Year Later

Posted: Updated:

A Sanger man says he's not caving into the fear of another possible terror attack at this year's Boston Marathon.

So, he's getting ready to run in the event again.

 "Runners don't quit. We're the toughest people out there," says Phillip Gonzalez.

He says he never imagined a year ago that finishing the 26.2 mile race would be easy, compared to surviving the overall experience.

"I heard the bomb and everything, screams, yells, blood," he says.

The 50-year-old left to run the marathon with his brother-in-law and former Fresno City Councilman Brad Castillo.

"They treated us like royalty. We wore this [marathon] shirt or jacket, they came around and hovered around you," Gonzalez says. "You're thinking, ‘Wow, this is it! We're here! We're here!'"

And the rock star treatment continued as they hit the road for the run.

Gonzalez averages a 7:45 mile, but keeping track of time took a back seat, to taking in the surroundings.
"I stopped a lot and shook hands with kids. It was an experience," he says.

Just over three hours later, Gonzalez finished.

He was cramping and was being treated by medics.

He went around the corner from the finish line for more treatment, and for some snacks, when he heard what, "sounded like a canon like they do at football game, ‘Boom!'

"Ambulance, after ambulance after ambulance came through our area to get up front. There had to be 70," Gonzalez says. "I saw some people coming out of there with blood stains all over their shirts."

And it's those who were hurt, that Gonzalez is running for this time around.

"We run 26 point 2 miles. We're resilient. We don't stop," he says. "Nobody can stop a runner. No terror attack, no bombs."

Gonzalez qualified to run in the 2014 Boston Marathon.

He tells us Castillo received an automatic invite, because he did not finish last year's run. He was half a mile out from the finish line when the bombs exploded.

The two will leave over the weekend.

A sendoff is planned for local runners Wednesday morning in North Fresno.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Buchanan High School Student Shot Accidentally By Hunter In Woods

    Buchanan High School Student Shot Accidentally By Hunter In Woods

    A 17-year-old Buchanan High School student is still in a bay area intensive care unit after a hunter accidentally shot him over the weekend.The family of Jim Moua says he was hunting squirrels with his father and little brother in the hills of Monterey County Saturday morning.The family says another hunter mistakenly shot him with a shotgun.He was airlifted to a San Jose hospital.Family members say he was hit with more than a dozen pellets of buck shot including 1 in his stomach and 10 in hi...More >>
    A 17-year-old Buchanan High School student is still in a bay area intensive care unit after a hunter accidentally shot him over the weekend.The family of Jim Moua says he was hunting squirrels with his father and little brother in the hills of Monterey County Saturday morning.The family says another hunter mistakenly shot him with a shotgun.He was airlifted to a San Jose hospital.Family members say he was hit with more than a dozen pellets of buck shot including 1 in his stomach and 10 in hi...More >>
  • Murder Suspect Shot, Killed By Fresno Police

    Murder Suspect Shot, Killed By Fresno Police

    Fresno Police tell KMPH Fox26 News and kmph.com that a man has been shot by an officer. It happened at an apartment complex near Clinton and First Ave, in Fresno.. The north bound lanes of First are blocked from Yale to Clinton. KMPH Fox26 News is there and waiting for a Police spokesperson to brief us on the details. Police say the man was wanted for a crime he is charged with committing.More >>
    Fresno Police tell KMPH Fox26 News and kmph.com that a man has been shot by an officer. It happened at an apartment complex near Clinton and First Ave, in Fresno.. The north bound lanes of First are blocked from Yale to Clinton. KMPH Fox26 News is there and waiting for a Police spokesperson to brief us on the details. Police say the man was wanted for a crime he is charged with committing.More >>
  • Baldness Linked To Prostate Cancer

    Baldness Linked To Prostate Cancer

    Baldness could be a sign of prostate cancer. That's according to a new study from the National Cancer Institute.The study found men who had male pattern baldness at age 45 were 40% more likely to develop an aggressive form of prostate cancer when they got older.The study's author suspects the link is due to changes in hormone levels.Nearly 70% of men experience male–pattern baldness which is described as having a receding hairline and thinning hair on the crown of the head.More >>
    Baldness could be a sign of prostate cancer. That's according to a new study from the National Cancer Institute.The study found men who had male pattern baldness at age 45 were 40% more likely to develop an aggressive form of prostate cancer when they got older.The study's author suspects the link is due to changes in hormone levels.Nearly 70% of men experience male–pattern baldness which is described as having a receding hairline and thinning hair on the crown of the head.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KMPH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.