Body of Missing Fresno Teen Found Buried in Yard - KMPH FOX 26 | Central San Joaquin Valley News Source

Police Discover Buried Body of Missing Fresno Teen

Posted:
FRESNO, Calif. (KMPH) -

A missing person's case may turn into a murder investigation after police uncover the body of a missing Fresno teen.

Police said the remains of a teenage boy were found buried Tuesday in the backyard of a southeast Fresno home on South Dearing Avenue.

Fresno Police Lt. Mark Salazar said a tip led investigators to the home.

Homicide detectives and The California Department of Justice began digging early Tuesday morning.

Salazar said the teen's body was discovered several hours later.

Police have yet to identify the teen, but the family of Steven Humphrey, a 15-year-old Fresno teen missing since 2009, strongly believes the remains are his.  

"We have for the most part known where it's been for a few years now and no action has really been taken until now," said Ben Essman, a cousin of Humphrey's.

Grief stricken, Essman said the family has been desperate for answers and hopes Tuesday's discovery will bring the family one step closer to the closer they've longed for.

Essman said the family has always suspected the Steven met his fate inside the house and was murdered and then buried on the property.

Emily Essman, another cousin of Humphrey's, said she didn't think Steven knew his life was in danger.

"When he went over there he didn't think anything was going to happen to him."

While police have deemed the death suspicious, Salazar said no arrests have been made yet in connection with the teen's death.

Humphrey's family said they don't need official police confirmation. They're certain they already know the answer.

"It's just nerve racking," Emily Essman said. "There's nothing we can do about it but wait."

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Fire Season 2014: Oakhurst Area Schools Still Closed

    Fire Season 2014: Oakhurst Area Schools Still Closed

    Some people in Oakhurst have been allowed back into their homes. Hundreds had been forced out after a wildfire in that area burned through over 600 acres.More >>
    Some people in Oakhurst have been allowed back into their homes. Hundreds had been forced out after a wildfire in that area burned through over 600 acres.More >>
  • Ebola Scare In Sacramento

    Ebola Scare In Sacramento

    Officials at the South Sacramento Kaiser Medical Center say they've admitted a patient that may have been exposed to the Ebola virus.Doctors are not confirming that is Ebola.Blood samples have been sent to the Centers for Disease Control to test for Ebola, which may take a few days.More >>
    Officials at the South Sacramento Kaiser Medical Center say they've admitted a patient that may have been exposed to the Ebola virus.Doctors are not confirming that is Ebola.Blood samples have been sent to the Centers for Disease Control to test for Ebola, which may take a few days.More >>
  • FIRE SEASON 2014: Homes and Businesses Destroyed By Oakhurst Fire

    FIRE SEASON 2014: Homes and Businesses Destroyed By Oakhurst Fire

    The fire in Oakhurst has burned 612 acres and is 30% contained. Some evacuation orders have been lifted and people are getting their first look at the damage.
    More >>
    The fire in Oakhurst has burned 612 acres and is 30% contained. Some evacuation orders have been lifted and people are getting their first look at the damage.

    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KMPH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.