Carbon Monoxide From Generator Kills 2, One Hospitalized - KMPH FOX 26 | Central San Joaquin Valley News Source

Carbon Monoxide From Generator Kills 2, One Hospitalized

Posted: Updated:
FRESNO, Calif. (KMPH) -

Two men are dead and a woman remains hospitalized after they were exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning from a gasoline powered generator.

Firefighters say it happened inside a warehouse in Fresno's Tower District.

Darrell Pretzr owns the warehouse and is an advocate for the homeless.

For the last few months, Pretzr said he allowed his friends to stay warm and sleep inside the building.

Tuesday morning he checked on them.

"I looked in back and I saw [one of the men] lying down on the ground in the back," Pretzr said. "Went back and I touched him and shook him and he was stiff. I knew he was gone."

And just a few feet away he found his other friend dead as well.

A woman was also found inside.

She was rushed to the hospital, and is critical, but stable condition, officials said.

Pretzr said he told the two to keep the generator outside.

James Hampton a friend of pair said, "Man, he loved God and had a real heart for people, he will be missed, he will really be missed."

Firefighters say PG&E recently turned off the power to the warehouse and the men might have been concerned about the generators noise during the night and brought it indoors.

Fresno fire fighters say that last year they responded to more than 590 carbon monoxide calls in the city.

They say many don't realize each home must be equipped with a carbon monoxide detector, it's the law.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Suspected Teen Burglar Escapes From Officer At Fresno Hospital

    Suspected Teen Burglar Escapes From Officer At Fresno Hospital

    17-year-old Raymond Robinson of Fresno is still on the run.Fresno police are searching for Robinson after he was arrested suspected of burglary.More >>
    17-year-old Raymond Robinson of Fresno is still on the run.Fresno police are searching for Robinson after he was arrested suspected of burglary.More >>
  • Scam Alert: Crooks Use Lottery Name, Promise Millions and a New Car

    Scam Alert: Crooks Use Lottery Name, Promise Millions and a New Car

    Chances are, when you hear “Mega Millions” you think of the lottery.You pick numbers and fill out a ticket at a convenience store.But what if someone told you that you hit it big, and you didn’t even play?This happened to Eunice Weldy Wednesday.For days, the phone in her Clovis home was ringing off the hook.She finally answered.The caller told her she had won the so-called “Mega Millions Cash Reward.”The prize?$2.5 million dollars, and a brand new Mercedes Benz.“I'd have a blast—I really woul...More >>
    Chances are, when you hear “Mega Millions” you think of the lottery.You pick numbers and fill out a ticket at a convenience store.But what if someone told you that you hit it big, and you didn’t even play?This happened to Eunice Weldy Wednesday.For days, the phone in her Clovis home was ringing off the hook.She finally answered.The caller told her she had won the so-called “Mega Millions Cash Reward.”The prize?$2.5 million dollars, and a brand new Mercedes Benz.“I'd have a blast—I really woul...More >>
  • Sam's Shoe Store In Reedley Celebrates 100 Years In Business

    Sam's Shoe Store In Reedley Celebrates 100 Years In Business

    Sam's Shoe Store has been a fixture in Downtown Reedley since 1914. The patriarch Sam Parichan was a shoe cobbler in Armenia who came to America when Reedley had muddy streets in the winter. Ralph Parichan, Sam's grandson was the fourth member of the family to buy Sam's in 1961. "I went into the service and I came out and I didn't want to go to school anymore and this was available to come here and work. They needed help so I just came to work here. Eventually it just worked out that way." Pa...More >>
    Sam's Shoe Store has been a fixture in Downtown Reedley since 1914. The patriarch Sam Parichan was a shoe cobbler in Armenia who came to America when Reedley had muddy streets in the winter. Ralph Parichan, Sam's grandson was the fourth member of the family to buy Sam's in 1961. "I went into the service and I came out and I didn't want to go to school anymore and this was available to come here and work. They needed help so I just came to work here. Eventually it just worked out that way." Pa...More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KMPH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.